Monday, November 26, 2007

DIGITAL ICE Technology in the Epson V500 Photo Scanner


The Epson V500 Photo Scanner that I'm now using came with DIGITAL ICE technology built in. This is a 'hardware-based' (and I'm not sure exactly what is meant by that phrase) process designed to automatically remove dust and scratches in film images.

I usually don't switch DIGITAL ICE on because it significantly slows down the scanning process. However, tonight I had to scan a color negative that turned out to have an incredible amount of dust imbedded in the emulsion during processing.

I re-scanned the negative with DIGITAL ICE (their caps, not mine) turned on, and the results exceeded my expectations. This post shows a 500 x 350 pixel crop from the first scan. The post below this one shows the same crop with DIGITAL ICE turned on. I did no retouching to either scan.

If you want to see the 100% size crop:

http://www.ashcreekimages.com/files/BLOG/withOUT_ICE.JPG

No comments: